Multiwfn forum

Multiwfn official website: http://sobereva.com/multiwfn. Multiwfn forum in Chinese: http://bbs.keinsci.com/wfn. E-mail of admin: sobereva[at]sina.com

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-15 00:04:50

Quark

ESP of a charged molecule

Dear Dr. Tian Lu,
I would be grateful if you answer my questions
How to build ESP for a charged molecule? Is it correct to optimize the whole molecule, and to use separate cation and anion to calculate the ESP surface?  As far as I know, the basis function should contain diffuse functions, so I plan to use PBE0 dеf2-TZVPD to calculate ESP. However, for optimization, can I use a def2-TZVP to shorten the computation time?

Best regards
Eugene

Last edited by Quark (2020-11-15 00:06:08)

#2 2020-11-15 23:32:32

sobereva
Tian Lu (Multiwfn developer)
Website

Re: ESP of a charged molecule

I don't fully know why you intend to "use separate cation and anion" to calculate ESP. For a charge system, in otherwords, a cation or anion, you can use exactly the same procedure to conduct quantum chemistry calculations and then use Multiwfn to perform ESP analysis. The only point that should be paid attention to is the choice of basis set, for anion you must use a basis set containing diffuse functions, otherwise the loosely bounded electrons cannot be properly represented. Using def2-TZVPD is fully reasonable for anion; decreasing to def2-TZVP is usually acceptable for optimization and frequency analysis purposes (however, some critical referees may make comment on this treatment. A safer way is using 6-31+G* instead, which also contains diffuse functions and is significantly cheaper than def2-TZVPD and def2-TZVP).

#3 2020-11-16 00:38:03

Quark

Dear Dr. Tian Lu,
Thank you very much for your reply. As for my first question, I cannot understand the algorithm for constructing surfaces ESP for charged molecules. If I use the whole molecule [A- and K +], then I have a single ESP surface covering part of the K+ molecule. Please tell me how I can build two surfaces ESP separate for ions A- and K +. Should I optimize separately anion and cation or the whole molecule [A- and K +], and then make single calculations of the wave function for the obtained geometry of anions and cations? Thus, I planned to evaluate the sigma holes on the iodine atom
ESP.jpg

Best regards
Eugene

Last edited by Quark (2020-11-16 00:46:12)

#4 2020-11-16 00:52:45

sobereva
Tian Lu (Multiwfn developer)
Website

You should optimize geometry and perform ESP analysis respectively for the cation and anion.

#5 2020-11-16 01:37:27

Quark

Dear Dr. Tian Lu,
Thanks for answering my questions.

Best regards
Eugene

Board footer